I love Adventure Time and Marceline is by far my favorite character. So last Halloween I dressed up as Marceline and I used the costume again for Wizard World Austin in November.
A big part of Marceline's look is her kick ass bass guitar so that was the first thing I worked on for the costume. After doing a little research online I came across some helpful information from a DeviantArt user (http://margo98.deviantart.com/art/Marceline-s-Bass-Guitar-212417140). I used the information she gave as a good starting point to make my bass.
- Pink Insulation foam (home improvement store)
- Small hand saw, exacto knife, or other blades
- Sandpaper or sanding block
- Gesso (primer)
- Acrylic paints (deep red, brighter red, silver, black)
- Gorilla Glue
- Silver cord or string
- Ruler, measuring tape and or straight edge
- Paint brushes
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Misc wooden pieces (craft store)
- Glossy acrylic top coat
The first thing I did was to look up lots of different pictures of Marceline's bass for references. Sometimes its drawn slightly different, so it's helpful to have a few images to reference when working on the project. Then I worked on making myself a pattern and cut out a couple of different versions until I got the size and shape just right for me. It took a little bit of trial and error to get it right.
I actually ended up making two complete bass guitars and one thing I learned from the first one was that it felt a little flimsy with just one layer of insulation foam. So on the second bass I made the body of the axe two layers thick and I left the neck as one layer. I cut a groove in the back (the second layer) to fit the neck in and then it was all glued together using the Gorilla Glue.
The piece needs to be sanded once the glue dries. I sanded all of the cut edges to make sure the lines were clean and smooth. I also cut very shallow lines in the face of the guitar along the left and right sides (see below) and then sanded the edges on the outer side of the lines to give that part of the bass a different texture.
Once everything was glued and sanded I primed the whole piece, front and back with the Gesso. I also cut and primed a small rectangle piece for the bridge that would be used to hold down the strings on the body of the bass.
I painted the head and the edges that I had sanded the darker red and then the rest of the bass the bright red.
I added in detail with silver and black. I used a sponge on the edges with black paint to make that detail look a little different.
Once the guitar was painted--front and back--I sealed the whole piece with a glossy acrylic top coat. This gave the bass a nice shiny finish.
I cut little groves in the head of the bass for the wooden tuner pieces that I painted silver. Then I put Gorilla Glue on the ends and pressed them into the small holes I made. Once that dried I wrapped the silver cord around and added a little hot glue to keep the cord from slipping off. The cord then went down the neck of the bass and was glued underneath the silver rectangle being used for the bridge.
I also painted beer bottle caps for the volume control knobs and another wooden piece silver for pin at the bottom of the bass. These were also attached using Gorilla Glue.
I am really happy with the finished product! It looked great for Halloween and for Wizard World.